Wednesday 14 May 2008

Elected as Mayor of Merton

Finally I was confirmed earlier tonight as the new Mayor of Merton. The ceremony in itself was pretty nerve wracking, but it all went very well in the end. Of course being elected mayor means non-stop photographs, I don't think I've ever been photographed so much on one night. I was also dressed up in full regalia, complete with tricorn hat which made quite a picture, being in robes is not the most comfortable of experiences especially as the Merton Council chamber has no air conditioning. Still, it's part of the tradition. The council also elected Krysia Williams as my deputy mayor for the next year who I've no doubt will prove an excellant ambassador for the borough over the next year.

Tomorrow sees my first engagement at the Secombe Centre in Sutton and a performance by the Wimbledon Light Opera of Follies. It promises to be a busy year ahead.

No comments: