Sunday 8 June 2008

The international borough

Over the weekend I've attended three engagements' that involved different ethnic groups. Last night in my own ward of Pollards Hill, I was at an International Night attended by over 20 nationalities; each on their own way contributing to the event and many providing dishes from the own culture.

On Sunday I attended the 110th anniversary of Filipino Independence in Morden Park. At the event I made various people of Filipino descent, along with visiting various stalls of groups that has links with the Philippines. I found the event to be stimulating and a great opportunity to talk to people from the Philippines, along with tasting some wonderful Philippines ice cream. The event also had various acts on stage, each in their own way putting on some fantastic performances, including a very talented 11 year old singer. We have a lot to be thankful to people from the Philippines for, especially in our hospitals where they have provided so many nurses in our hospitals over many years.

Finally this evening, I attended a West Indian Families and Friends Association annual church service in Tooting. The theme of the event was healing, and the service itself was in many parts poignant and moving. A particular part of the service that stood out for me was the outstanding solo of Ave Maria by Harry Skeete. Also the sermon of Rev Dr Rosemarie Mallet, patron of the association, recognised the contribution of the West Indian community to the Britain, and the challenge they have faced.

In all, Merton is a truly diverse place with many different communities. Although I've been Mayor for nearly four weeks, in that time I've had the opportunity to meet different people from a range of different cultures. I believe that our diverse community contributes a great deal to our borough and is something that should be welcomed.

No comments: