Tuesday 24 March 2009

Irish Night

Last Friday, I held an extremely successful Irish Night at the Irish Centre in Wimbledon attended by over 150 people. This was a night of music and dancing with a band led by Mary Farrell, who has provided the entertainment for the Mayor's Irish night for many years.

It was also fantastic to have such great support from across the borough, but especially in the Irish community. The previous Tuesday I had attended the St Patrick's Night at the centre, and it was great to see so many people coming together and celebrating.

Being of Irish descent I am also immensely proud of my Irish roots, but also everything that the Irish community have achieved in Merton, many of whom, like my own parents came to this country back in the fifties and sixties to seek a better life. I also think it's important that the Irish community can come together and be proud of the identity and background; expressing it music and dancing is one way of doing this!

It was a great night, and thanks to everyone who helped make the night a great success.

No comments: