Saturday 27 September 2008

Merton Cultutal Olympiad launch

On Saturday, I launched the Cultural Olympiad at Wimbledon Park. This is a weekend of sporting and cultural activities taking place in the park, with opportunities for people to try out a range of different sports, alongside various musical and dance performances. At the launch, I tried out myself a variety of activities, including paralympic tennis(and I can tell you it was difficult), cycling on a bike to provide the energy to make a smoothie(called a Blendavenda), and also shooting penalties. All in all it was a fun day, I also met one of the Olympian Paralympians at the lake which is a magnificent facility we have in the park, and enables many children to undertake rowing,canoeing sailing and windsurfing. Although at first they experienced wind problems(no wind), eventually they abated and a regatta with many boats got underway, Sunday will see a dragon boat race on the same lake.

This is the start of a range of activities that will take place in the next four years in the run up to 2012, it's great that we've had these activities organised and my thanks as well goes to all the Council staff involved in the launch, alongside a number of partner organisations that the Council works with, from what I saw of the event was a great success.

No comments: